Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Haters gonna hate

When I'm on Twitter it's hard not to feel like the bees knees, like I'm on top of the world, like no one can touch me. I can say what I want and hide behind my computer screen and hate on anyone I want.

Lets lay it out real simple. On Twitter you can say anything to anyone you want, plain and simple. With the world the way it is and thousands of prideful ego's and haters out there, you're bound to be hated on by someone. Even if you haven't seen it, I promise it's happened. 

The most common kind of hating is passive aggressive. For instance just last week I was sitting in a class with my bros. I happened to be looking at twitter and noticed that someone from my same class tweeted and was complaining about the person sitting next to them. I looked over and realized that my friend was the one sitting next to her. He saw the tweet a few minutes later and called her out on it. She then pretended like it was just a joke... right. I threw down my BS challenge flag and there was indisputable evidence it was a true passive aggressive hate tweet. Haters gonna hate. (Hey, I'm practicing my own version of bad passive agressive #twetiquette right here by posting about the incident on my blog, a place that anyone could find, including the people involved in this very story :) ) We're all guilty. So.. Is it a bad thing?
I have been thinking about this for quite awhile. I'd say 99% of people have tweeted with the idea that a) They will never meet the person they are talking to or b) The person they are passive aggressively talking about will never read it.  While this may be true, what does that say about you? Who are you really? Take a second and think about how often you do it yourself.

I like to compare Twitter to someone's thoughts inside their head except its written out nice and neat for everyone in the world to see. Most of the things tweeted would usually only have been thought, or just said to close friends. Now the false shield of the computer screen has made people think they can say whatever they want with no repercussion.

Everyone's mom always said: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. People think bad thoughts all the time... but they are supposed to stay that way, thoughts. They aren't supposed to be voiced. If I read through someone's twitter profile I can give you a pretty good idea about what kind of person they are. Think about it.

So next time you go to tweet, I suggest thinking if that is something you would really say out loud if everyone can hear you, because guess what... Everyone CAN hear you. 

In the end, some people still just don't care... All I gotta say to that is: Haters gonna hate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment