Saturday, April 21, 2012

#0toMarathon: Thoughts From Week 1

I can't even remember what it feels like to not think about running every day. I'd say I'm adapting to this lifestyle rather well. Really all I want to do now is get a few good runs in every week.

Jammin out
This week's clutch Pandora station has definitely been Swedish House Mafia. Monday morning, 6 am, I'm tired as crap having gone to bed at 2 the night before. I put my headphones in, switched to SHM radio and right off "Miami 2 Ibiza"came one. Just what I needed to get the motivation to start down the dark street. So thank you Swedish House Mafia, you're helping me more than you know.

Arches
Yes, southern Utah is famous for it's arches but this isn't about those. My foot arches. True to my declaration video I did my first run in skate shoes. That proved not be the smartest thing I've ever done. It's progressively got worse and as the week went on all I want to do is run. Weirdest thing since I've never EVER had that desire before... Trying not to injure my foot more I'm taking a little break to make sure I don't screw up my whole marathon chances.

Little Races: Undie Run
It's said that most people have already ruined their chances of being elected President because of things they've posted on Facebook. Here's my thoughts.
1) I never want to be president.
2) If you can't accept me for being a spontaneous, self-mocking, outgoing individual with a sense of humor, I don't want to be affiliated with you. That being said. I'm not ashamed of any pictures like this
<--
It's who I am. Take me or leave me. But if you leave me, you better like dust in your face.

If you've been following along you probably knew that I did my first real race this week: The A week Midnight Undies Run. I've decided to try and hit as many of those little races as I can. The Todd Banner family has already recruited me for the Mud Run on May 4. That one should be pretty fun.



Competitive as a Mother Bear
 I've decided to run these to get used to running with other people. I am extremely competitive at heart and I constantly have to remind myself, even in little things, that it's not a race. If people are passing me on the freeway, I get upset. If too many people finish before me in a test, I get anxious and just want to finish as fast as I can so I'm not among the last ones. That's just a couple examples.
Running in the 5k, I found myself thinking the same thing. People would pass me (obviously people who have probably been running more than 3 days like I have) and I would get upset. I've come to realize that running is just as much mental as it is physical. I'm racing against myself. I'm not Kenyan so I don't have any high hopes of winning a race. I just want to finish with the best time I am capable of. If I'm worrying about other people, I lose track of the focus I need to keep myself on pace and motivated to finish. It's been interesting learning and realizing all this stuff.

One last mention. The Nike + GPS app is LEGIT!! If you run, I would definitely say check it out. Awesome tracking and really fun social integration. Getting cheers from people as they liked my FB status was pretty cool.

Week 2 plans?
-Hopefully my foot works itself out and I can get back on the horse.
-Spice up the #0toMarathon documentation. No more normal posts, pics etc. I promise following this is going to get a lot more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment